Followers

Monday, April 8, 2013

It has always been my intention to bring the truth to this blog. Since the beginning of the year I have been having a lot more upper abdominal symptoms. I have been spending more days in bed. It seems that I would have acute symptoms be down for 2-3 days and then spend one taking it easy and then the mad dash is on to catch up what has been missed since my initial symptoms began. Then in 3-4 days back down I would go.
I am also have a difficult time keeping weight on. I have lost about 20 plus pounds in the last 13 months. I have reached the lowest weight that I can remember. I believe I am smaller now than when I was 12 years old. I was never a small girl before the term of pancreatitis became an everyday word.
On Wednesday March 28, 2013 I began to have the upper abdominal and back radiating symptoms that I knew were bad. It feels as though someone or something has kicked me in the chest below my sternum. This time I knew it was different I could not go to sleep, normally if I go to bed I will just go to sleep and sleep through most of it.
In the wee hours of the morning my husband was driving me to the ER. I declined admission but was administered pain relief and nausea meds. I forgot to say that as soon as I hit triage I began to vomit as soon as the nurse said " May I help you"? I began to vomit into the bucket I was carrying.
The long short of it all... I had elevated liver enzymes again.
alkaline phosp  261
AST ( SGOT) 230
Alt   (SGPT) 155
It has been almost 2 weeks and I am still not back to me. I stay tired and don't have much stamina. I was given a referral to a local GI. I tried to call but who ever answered the phone wouldn't make me an appointment because that physician was NOT on call that noc. Even though I don't want to see the one that was on call. On to bigger and better things. I am under no illusions, there was no one here who could help me prior to the tp/ict I doubt that they can now. I still occasionally get the " you can't live without a pancreas". Guess I am dead then! This thing I know I don't have a pancreas and don't WANT one.
On a positive note, had my HA1C checked 6.0 not where I like it to be, but this I can work on. Usually I am 5.7-5.9. I am still within a non diabetic range and want to keep it that way.
Lisa

5 comments:

Linda said...

Hello Lisa ---I wondered what has been causing your pain now? Do the doctors know? I am waiting to see if I might be a candidate for this procedure -thanks, Linda

Lisa Atwell said...

When I was offered this surgery, I was not promised anything. It was hoped that I would have some pain relief, but again there were no absolutes.
If treating pain were as easy as knowing why. Those with chronic back pain would have resolution.
Hope that helps

Mourning into Dancing said...

Hi Lisa, thank you SO much for your transparency and honesty! This Wed will mark my 6th month anniversary of being pancreas free. I read all of your posts and was greatly encouraged. My recent hurdle has been blacking out from pain and fatigue. My PCP increased by nerve blocking pain medicine (Lyrica) and blood work revealed low iron levels. These tweaks have certainly helped, but I still find myself becoming tired quickly. I am only 30 years old and have been on disability for 2 years. I am super thankful for the major reduction in pain and to be able to eat. However, I desperately want to be "normal". I don't know what is realistic to expect. I pray for your continued healing and praise God for your blog. You are an inspiration! Blessings, Becky

Tatensam said...

Hello Lisa, I am currently 2 weeks away from having a total pancreatectomy. A little background, I have hereditary pancreatitis. I have been suffering with this for the last 16 years. I over the last year it has worsened to the point where I am in constant pain. I have gotten relief off and on from pain meds but I hate being dependent on them so mostly without. I am a mother to 10 children and during my last pregnancy, delivered 9 months ago, my pancreas quit working completely. I am now a type 1 diabetic. So my question is, am i going to regret having this surgery? I really dont have many other options because even if they removed part of it i would still be getting pancreatitis. How are you doing now? Are you still in pain? Do they know what causes the pain after? Sorry so many questions just trying to do as much research as i can before jumping into this head first. Thanks so much. Samantha johnson

Unknown said...

Lisa, I see you havent entered anything in over a year. I can only hope that your doing so well and keeping very busy. God Bless you for all the info you have shared.

About Me

I am a wife and a mom. I have 2 cat children that I adore. I suffered for 10 years with chronic pancreatitis. I suffered horribly, no one should have to live I like I did.